Thursday, March 11, 2010

I REMEMBER POST # 2

I remember when Elvis' song 'Hound Dog' was all the rage. I was in the 4th. grade in an elementary school located in the one of the most isolated, forgotten areas of the Applachian Mtns. The roads had curves that required you to stop before entering and blow your horn to see if anyone was approaching from other side because two cars dare not go into that curve at same time. A few of the curves had mirrors but everybody still stopped to blow their horns. It was an everyday occurrence. Well now that you know just how 'backwoods' a place I lived in, get this. You can't make this stuff up.....the principal of my elementary school must have been a very resourceful (not to mention fearless considering the apolostic churches that peppered the hillsides) man. He opened up the gym floor for dancing during lunchtime. (He must have caught some grief from the highly religious parents of that hamlet.) If you had a spare nickel, you could come in and dance to Elvis! And others I'm sure, it's just that the only song I remember dancing to was 'Hound Dog. I loved it and I still love to dance. My dear Mother was a good dancer and she would cut loose at any time in the house to music on the radio. She could swing with Frank and Benny and Glenn like noone I ever saw on TV.
I don't know what the principal did with that little bit of change he collected, but I would hope that he used it to buy things the teachers needed. We were in a very impoverished area. God Bless him anyway. I got to dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment